Portal monitors, are instruments for external contamination measurement. They are used for monitoring of personnel, which exit a nuclear facility. Portal monitors are usually last line of defence against contaminated people and equipment leaving the station. Radiation Dosimetry
Portal monitors, are instruments for external contamination measurement. They are used for monitoring of personnel, which exit a nuclear facility. Portal monitors are usually last line of defence against contaminated people and equipment leaving the station. These detectors are able to measure simultaneously beta and gamma contamination. The total body surface including hands, head and feet is measured by many beta gas flow proportional counters and several large additional gamma scintillation detectors, which are positioned in the breast area (left and right side). Large scintillation detectors (plastic or liquid) are installed in order to be able to detect the passage of low levels of gamma activity. As they are only sensitive to gamma radiation, they are able to detect incorporated gamma activity if present. In this way, if some internal contamination exists, the worker is immediately sent for whole-body counting and the dose assessment is much more accurate.
- Knoll, Glenn F., Radiation Detection and Measurement 4th Edition, Wiley, 8/2010. ISBN-13: 978-0470131480.
- Stabin, Michael G., Radiation Protection and Dosimetry: An Introduction to Health Physics, Springer, 10/2010. ISBN-13: 978-1441923912.
- Martin, James E., Physics for Radiation Protection 3rd Edition, Wiley-VCH, 4/2013. ISBN-13: 978-3527411764.
- U.S.NRC, NUCLEAR REACTOR CONCEPTS
- U.S. Department of Energy, Instrumantation and Control. DOE Fundamentals Handbook, Volume 2 of 2. June 1992.
Nuclear and Reactor Physics:
- J. R. Lamarsh, Introduction to Nuclear Reactor Theory, 2nd ed., Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA (1983).
- J. R. Lamarsh, A. J. Baratta, Introduction to Nuclear Engineering, 3d ed., Prentice-Hall, 2001, ISBN: 0-201-82498-1.
- W. M. Stacey, Nuclear Reactor Physics, John Wiley & Sons, 2001, ISBN: 0- 471-39127-1.
- Glasstone, Sesonske. Nuclear Reactor Engineering: Reactor Systems Engineering, Springer; 4th edition, 1994, ISBN: 978-0412985317
- W.S.C. Williams. Nuclear and Particle Physics. Clarendon Press; 1 edition, 1991, ISBN: 978-0198520467
- G.R.Keepin. Physics of Nuclear Kinetics. Addison-Wesley Pub. Co; 1st edition, 1965
- Robert Reed Burn, Introduction to Nuclear Reactor Operation, 1988.
- U.S. Department of Energy, Nuclear Physics and Reactor Theory. DOE Fundamentals Handbook, Volume 1 and 2. January 1993.
- Paul Reuss, Neutron Physics. EDP Sciences, 2008. ISBN: 978-2759800414.
Dosimetry in NPPs
We hope, this article, Portal Monitor – Radiation, helps you. If so, give us a like in the sidebar. Main purpose of this website is to help the public to learn some interesting and important information about radiation and dosimeters.